St. Luke’s partners with a number of schools in the Oklahoma City metro area to help students and teachers. One of the ways we partner is through Reading Buddies. We currently have sponsored programs at Coolidge Elementary in Oklahoma City and Will Rogers Elementary in Edmond. But Reading Buddies are needed in Oklahoma City Schools and you can volunteer with the OKC Public Schools Foundation. Please fill out the form below and you will receive details of what the next steps are.
What does it mean to be a Reading Buddy?
- Reading Buddies visit their assigned school once a week and spend 30-45 minutes reading with students.
- Reading Buddies meet during the school day at a time determined by the principal, ensuring students do not miss core reading instructions.
- Reading buddies will meet with the same students each week.
Reading Buddies Should:
- Be a consistent volunteer. Students look forward to reading with their Reading Buddies and enjoy seeing them at the scheduled times. Anticipating this time has even increased some students’ attendance rates.
- Keep communication lines open with the school Reading Buddies Coordinator. Express any concerns with the Reading Buddies Coordinator or the Community Relations team.
- Follow school protocol and rules.
- Keep information about the student confidential.
- Keep comments made in the presence of students positive.
- Always have volunteer identification visible.
Will Rogers Elementary, 1215 E 9th St, Edmond, OK 73034
Current Volunteers Options: Morning and afternoon available for Pre-K through 3rd Grade.
Coolidge Elementary School, 5212 S. Villa Ave. OKC, OK 73119
Coolidge is currently full, more spots will open soon. In the meantime, you can volunteer through OKCPS Foundation for Reading Buddies at other schools.
Reading Buddies OKC
Volunteers are needed throughout Oklahoma City. You can sign up for Reading Buddies through the Oklahoma City Public Schools Foundation.
Please fill out the form letting us know your interest in being a Reading Buddy. You will receive an email with details of what the next steps are for your area you volunteered for.